This is a question I received from the last post I sent. I answered the email but thought it would be a good intro into a bigger question:
How do I promote to non-commercial press and radio if I am in a niche market like Latin Jazz or Blues. Both are strong parts of the overall Jazz genre. If you know how to promote to jazz ( check some of the other posts ) then it is very easy to move those concepts and utilize much of the jazz contact data to the other niche markets. The first part covers the US and Canada and some International. Let’s start:
- Almost all of the radio stations, NPR/Public Radio, College Music Radio, most Jazz Digital Radio (XM Sirius, JazzRadio, Music Choice, and more) have Latin Jazz and Blues programming. Find those stations and learn how to send and follow up on your submission and you WILL get results. Many of these stations will send you their play lists if you subscribe to got their sites to check play lists.
- There are also programs on AM and commercial stations that will have some accessible programming that might pick up your music. Always worth a try.
- Also, there are websites, magazines, and blogs either dedicated to these sub genres. or have sections that cover Latin Jazz and Blues have soooo many. hits on Google. Just do a Google search for these sites and you find many that do reviews and might have some sort area to post about your music. Remember Down Beat Magazine’s moniker is Jazz, Blues, and Beyond. The major trades all dedicate some time these genres. Send a CD with a one sheet and label it Latin or Blues.
- Again, the internet! Google the internet for Latin or Blues societies, clubs, fan groups. AND most of all Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and the others all have Latin and Blues pages, groups, etc. The more networking you do the more information you will find that can help you grow your music brand.
- With out being on a major or minor independent label it is a little harder to get your CD physically distributed in a traditional manner. And yes we still do that internationally. BUT the good news is that CD Baby or Tune Core sells to the same US and International wholesellers that most of these labels use, Alliance. They will put you in the database and you will sell CDs if you create action.
- The international world of promoting to jazz and it’s many sub genres has more opportunities due to the develop of the internet than ever before. It is truly an exciting time for artists if you are willing to “dig in”. There are no short cuts, it is there, but you gotta start Google-ing. Most of the US major trades , blogs, and websites are well read through out the world in print and online. All of the major online radio stations are global as well as most NPR/PR stations have internet broadcasting.
Lastly, remember that for $100 you can have 7 quality databases that can be a starting point for you promoting. CONTACT DATABASES